Thursday 15 November 2018

Study Task 3: Images and Theory




I want to explore how modern day characters with mental illnesses are represented in the media and are they being represented well. I will also be looking into how characters are designed and what makes their designs so effective. I want to explore the colour schemes that they choose for certain characters and what emotions those colours evoke in the audience.

In the picture above I had collected data on popular modern day characters and shows that represent mental illness. 

I have used several different sources to help me establish some groundwork for making my own characters. I have used a research paper by Marika Nieminen called Psychology in Character Design to have an understanding of how characters are created for certain roles by using particular colours and shapes.

The Psychopathology of Cinema: How Mental Illness and Psychotherapy are Portrayed in Film - by Lauren Beachum is an informative paper on how the view of mental illness in cinema has changed and why it was seen as such a taboo to have it in plain sight for the audience to see or for them to take it seriously.

Finally "The Book on Human Emotions" by Tiffany W. Smith is a well documented 'dictionary' on a large portion of human emotions, where the meanings of them come from and how they develop over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Conclusion

This project has allowed me to expand my knowledge on character design and help me better my choices when designing. I had a basic idea on...