Tuesday 8 October 2019

Year 3 - Draft Proposal

After the initial presentation, I was made aware that I had a clear idea on what I wanted to do my practical work on, character designs that are affected by certain mental health issues and using particular shapes and colours to enhance their design, but I wasn't to sure how to write this into 5000 word essay. 

After writing a draft of my proposal, I do have a clearer idea on how I want to approach the subject matter, however I need to be able to organise my thoughts better on paper.


Initial Draft Proposal:

I am wanting to explore character design with mental illness taken into consideration, as this has become more frequent in modern character design.

My practical work will be one or a series of character designs that have been thoroughly thought out, taking in colour and shape theory also getting feedback from outside source to make sure I am clearly conveying the right message across.

I will explore how very early character designs, such as Mickey Mouse, Betty Boop and early Looney Tunes, to modern characters from shows like Steven Universe, Adventure Time and Bojack Horseman.

As appeal is one of the twelve principles of animation, I want to explore how this translate theoretically to character design as well. I will be reading on how to make informed decisions through out designing particular characters, whether they are the protagonists, antagonists or the comic relief and how you can push these defined archetypes to create more complex and even more appealing characters.  

I will be creating characters with backstories, which means I will have to think how this would affect their personality, their relationships and their outlook on the world. Creating in-depth character sheets will aid me in creating competent decisions on the characters’ physical appearance.

Research into particular mental disorders will be imperative to this project, on those that I am familiar with and ones that I need to learn more about; symptoms, reactions, dangers and recovery that is involved with each particular illness.

I was also thinking of showing the journey of a character going through mental illness; before, initial stage, during, recovering and recovered. Exploring different ways of showing the internal struggle physically.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Conclusion

This project has allowed me to expand my knowledge on character design and help me better my choices when designing. I had a basic idea on...